[email protected] / +44 (0) 7809 416 604
Current Location: Putney, London, UK
- Outstanding productivity. Track record of meeting impossible deadlines.
- Obsessed over code quality, legibility and maintainability.
- Strong focus on performance and database access patterns, preventing future bottlenecks.
- Ability to master new skills quickly.
- Independent, self-motivated. Deadline and results oriented.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Commercial vision during analysis, forecasting future needs, and delivering to that end.
- Ample experience in the development of applications for production environments.
- Strong knowledge of web security and secure code (SQL injection, XSS, XSRF, etc).
Jan 2017 - December 2017 Lead Developer at Watu (Contractor) (www.watuapp.com)
Came back to Watu after many years (see below), as a contractor, to modernize their legacy codebase into modern engineering practices, to prepare it for team and product growth. Implemented TDD, Continuous Integration, and refactored a large part of the codebase to follow better Object Oriented design.
November 2015 - December 2016 Senior Software Engineer at Appear Here (appearhere.co.uk)
AppearHere is a marketplace that matches up pop-up shop ideas, landlords and their real-estate, to give physical spaces to those ideas.
I worked here as Senior Software Engineer, as part of a brilliant, small team. We all had responsibility for the whole codebase, including the customer-facing website, internal tools for our agents to facilitate the lettings, ETL and real-time data processing pipeline for our business intelligence unit, and DevOps / Continuous Integration. Also worked full-stack, from our Ruby on Rails back-end, to our React front-end.
Technologies applied include: Ruby on Rails v4.2, PostgreSQL, Redis, Elastic Search, AWS S3, AWS EC2, AWS RDS, Amazon Redshift, AirBnb's Airflow, Bootstrap, Foundation, ReactJS.
November 2014 - November 2015 Lead Backend Architect and Developer at MSTY
Formed part of the initial team at MSTY, a startup that developed a music messaging app. The first of its class to have music distribution rights, MSTY allows people to share music and photos with friends. In August 2015, MSTY was featured as Apple Editor's Choice worldwide.
Single-handedly designed, architected and coded the entire Backend infrastructure, with an obssessive focus on reliability, performance and scalability.
After the initial development phase, worked extensively on performance, through stress tests and profiling, reaching a sustained throughput high enough to serve 4 million daily active users, with only a single medium-sized PostgreSQL instance, and a response time in production consistently under 20ms (95% percentile).
Features of the backend system include: Messaging and conversation history; Multi-device synchronization; Phonebook processing and matching to find friends; Photo uploading and processing; Music processing: ingestion from music labels (DDEX Standard), automated editing and recompressing; Internal admin tools to manage playlists; Fully-featured Search including searching on lyrics, tags and metadata.
Technologies applied include: Ruby on Rails v4.2, PostgreSQL, Redis, Elastic Search, Heroku, AWS S3, AWS EC2.
Worked as a contractor for a global leader in online trading that specializes in Forex, developing new features for an internal management tool used to keep track of all of Gallant's clients, their finances and their trading.
Took requirements from the CTO, did the whole analysis and developed a significant new feature through to completion and deployment in production. This feature impacted multiple moving parts in the existing system and implied rewriting a considerable part of it.
Also worked extensively on performance, reducing batch process execution from hours to under a minute, and enormously reducing CPU load on the trading servers.
This system was originally developed by me several years ago, on a previous contract with this client, and I was requested to return to work with them for this specific development.
Features of the system include: Whitelabeling, Multi-tier affiliate system and commission distribution, full Integration with MetaQuotes Metatrader, Salesforce, and a bespoke VPS provisioning system.
Formed part of the seed team at Watu, a 3-person startup that developed a complete multi-tenant SaaS management tool.
Based on an existing architecture, created all features from end to end working with the CTO and CEO on design, analysis and implementation.
Delivered a refined product that provided a complete customer solution for temporary staffing agencies across the UK, Australia, Canada and the USA.
Features of the system include: Job Scheduling, Staff Booking, Job Marketplace, Payroll and Pensions.
Technologies applied include: Ruby on Rails v3.2 and v4.0, jQuery, PostgreSQL, SOLR Search Engine, Puppet and Capistrano for deployment, TestUnit and Capybara for automated browser testing.
April 2005 - April 2012 Full Time Freelance Programmer - Under the business name "Crystal Gears"
Custom software development company launched to retail a software product, with clients from across the USA and Europe, and solutions ranging from desktop applications to web sites and online games. To accommodate business growth, hired and coached an additional developer.
- MoverTrends: Sells mailing lists of New Movers around a location in the US. Handles fast geographic queries in a Database with 20 million records.
- GigPay: Escrow system for bands and other performers to make secure transactions. Full rewrite of an original codebase made by a team in India, which had taken 1 year of work, didn't quite work and was full of security bugs. The whole rewrite in ASP.Net, from scratch, took only one month.
- Translator’s Corner: Marketplace for translators and clients to do business online. Advanced and secure money handling to distribute earnings to translators.
2006, 2007 & 2008 Judge of Algorithms in Microsoft's Imagine Cup competition
The Imagine Cup is a programmer's competition sponsored by Microsoft, where students have to solve complex algorithmic optimization problems. In 2006-2008, I developed the infrastructure code for the competitors to work on and test their entries, and acted as one of 3 judges of the world's brightest CS students in the Worldwide Finals that took place in India, Korea and France, respectively.
February 2000 - April 2005 Cimatic SRL (www.cimatic.com.mx)
Cimatic is a provider of consulting and customization services for ERP systems of US company Infor (formerly MAPICS Inc). It is also the official affiliate for Infor in Argentina and Mexico.
Due to the enormous professional growth I experienced working at Cimatic, my roles and responsibilities grew constantly and encompassed the following:
- Provided customer support.
- Visual Basic programmer for internal applications.
- Visual Basic and RPG/400 programming of Client/Server custom applications used by Cimatic's customers, with an "Enterprise Integrator" frontend, and AS/400 backend.
- Systems Analyst and Project Leader, through the implementation of an add-on ERP module that MAPICS Inc hired Cimatic to develop. Usage of this module resulted in a 4% profit increase in the services sector of Schneider Electric Mexico (a 200M annual revenue manufacturing company). The whole project paid for itself in 3 months.
- Consulted on the implementation of this module at companies located in Argentina, Mexico, United Stated and Denmark.
January 1998 - December 1999 Instituto Tecnológico Philips Argentina
Internship in High School Institution were I studied
- Maintained computer network of over 50 PCs for the institute.
- Managed server and hardware repairs for the network.
- Programmed internal tools and Intranet (Visual Basic and ASP).
"Daniel is a rare beast, understanding the big picture, technically and commercially, whilst being able to identify and define the minuscule detail that will make the wider vision achievable. Equally adept at designing features and writing complex code, he works at a pace unrivalled. Add to that a great sense of humour and deep knowledge on the weird and the wonderful, he was a great colleague and is now a good friend."
"As a financial solution provider we outsource a great deal of our development work.
Our relationship with Daniel Magliola is without a doubt the best outsourcing experience we have ever had.
Daniel, unlike other providers, will take the time to review and analyse each project with us. Often pointing out issues and considerations that would have cost us a lot more had they come up during the development.
He is dedicated to meeting his deadlines and makes himself available at all hours to support and manage any unexpected problem that arise. I would recommend Daniel to any company in search of a reliable, long term software development partner."
Relevant Programming Languages
- Ruby, Ruby on Rails (6 years of experience)
- jQuery, PrototypeJS, jQuery UI
- HTML5 / XHTML / CSS3
- PHP (8 years)
- C#, VB.Net, ASP.Net (7 years)
- ASP Classic, VB5, VB6
- RPG/400, CL/400
- MySQL, PostgreSQL
- MS SQL Server 2000, 2005, 2008
- Test Driven Development
- Agile Development
- Automated deployment and server setup through Puppet / Capistrano
Download PDF version